Here are some interesting facts to know about dolphins:
- The maximum age for bottlenose dolphins is between 40 and 50 years.
- Fish and squid are the diet of the common dolphin.
- On average an adult dolphin will eat 4-9% of its body weight in fish.
- There are between 30 to 40 species of dolphins.
- Dolphins are highly social, playful, curious and intelligent.
- The largest dolphin species is the orca.
- Mother dolphins produce milk that is extremely rich in fat, up to 50 percent.
- Like bats, dolphins use echolocation to navigate and hunt.
- Dolphins have excellent vision and well-developed eyes.
- Five dolphin species live in rivers.